Social media as created a whole new world in which people communicate and conduct business.
In almost every job search tip column and book there is a section
dedicated to networking, taking us back to the age old debated quip “it’s not
what you know, it’s who you know.” Some agree and some disagree, but research has
in fact proven that people you know can often be the key to unlocking your way
into a company. It is important to understand why networking can help you, as
well as how to establish and expand your professional network
The good news is that with social networking:
- You can now communicate with millions of people.
- If you know how to build strong reliable professional networks.
- Millions of people can communicate with us.
- If they know who you are.
- If you can be easily found.
- You can be the subject of other people's research.
- If you are visible and connected.
- If you have informative and detailed profiles on-line.
- You can now leverage social media to:
- Locate career opportunities
- Identify hiring managers in the companies you are targeting.
- Leverage your professional network for introductions.
- Make yourself known to a much larger group of individuals!
- You can do all this and more, but only if you know how.
What's the impact on the career search?